Monday, January 19, 2009

Week Two

What are your philosophical beliefs about the purpose of school, about what subjects should be taught, and about how students learn? How does your work demonstrate your belief?

When thinking about my philosophical beleifs about the purpose of school, I think about the narrative that we read this week entitled "The American Experiment." The basis of the American creed. This narrative states that "the purpose of schooling is to provide students with knowledge so they can participate in the American Experience." I feel that this is an important issue when considering the purpose of school, the idea of teaching the basics (English Language Arts and Math) and teaching skills that will "educate students so that they will be capable of functioning in society, earning and income and becoming tomorrow's leaders and responsible adults, " which is a peice from my districts mission statement. I feel that in many ways, the State Standards and Benchmarks are representative of what students in Michigan should learn in order to be a successful member of society. I like the quote from our reading that states that education can "provide our youth with the knowledge and will to participate in the great experiment; to teach them how to argue, and to help them discover what questions are worth arguing about; and of course, to make sure they know what happens when arguments cease." This would mean that we cannot only teach the basics (English and Math) but that we must also teach Social Studies, Science, Art, Physical Education, etc.) I feel that our district does that, and it is my job to make sure that all of the curriculum is aligned correctly and that the students learn all of these things.

1 comment:

  1. Deanna,

    The only part I see missing is the two paragraphs part. Your quote from the course shows a relevant connect with your professional setting. What do you think you can do to help your district be more successful?

    I enjoyed the relevance that you place on education. How can you use technology to instill the love of learning into your students? How can you have technology help you?

    ReplyDelete